The following ICT investigators, staff and students have recently won awards.
- Professor Imad Al-Qadi was named Honorary Professor at Southeast University in Nanjing, China. He also presented the Keynote Address at the Tenth International Congress on Advances in Civil Engineering in Ankara, Turkey, on October 17-19. His presentation was entitled “Measurement and Analysis Techniques for Assessing Transportation Infrastructure Using Ground Penetrating Radar.”
- Lori Carpenter, ICT Assistant to the Director, was recognized with the Annual Civil and Environmental Engineering Staff Award for Excellence at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Student Angeli Gamez received the Dwight David Eisenhower Scholarship from the Federal Highway Administration.
- Student Jaime Hernandez was awarded an academic general scholarship from the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Foundation for 2012-13.
- Students Ibrahim Abuawad and Ahmad Kanaan received 2012 scholarships from the Arab American Association of Engineers and Architects.
- Professor Tim Stark received the Associate Editor Award for the Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering.
- Professor Erol Tutumluer delivered the keynote address at the 2nd International Conference on Transportation Geotechnics (ICTG), presented at Hokkaido University in Sapporo, Japan, on September 10-12. Tutumluer spoke on Sustainable Pavement Construction Utilizing Engineered Unbound Aggregate Layers. Additionally, along with coauthors Yuanjie Xiao, Yu Qian, and John Siekmeier, Tutumluer was recognized with the 2012 Best Paper by the Geology and Properties of Earth Materials Section of the Transportation Research Board (TRB).
- The following professors were on the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for Spring 2012: Bassem Andrawes, Larry Fahnestock, Marcelo Garcia, David Lange, Liang Liu, Yanfeng Ouyang, John Popovics, Erol Tutumluer, and Dan Work.