ICT Visiting Scholar Profiles: João Crucho and Edoardo Barber

joaoJoão Crucho

João Crucho has joined ICT as a visiting scholar coming from Portugal, where he attends Instituto Superior Técnico – Universidade de Lisboa. João holds a master’s in civil engineering and is currently working on his PhD studies. His research interests include pavement engineering, design, and materials; transportation systems; and pavement management. João came to ICT because “In the field of pavement engineering and research, ICT is one of the best centers in the world.”

“The team (students and staff) are nice, helpful, and friendly,” says João. “I specifically enjoyed learning about the more recent developments in what concerns new materials and testing procedures.”

When he is not working on his research, João also enjoys learning about aeronautics and macroeconomics. He also has a passion for soccer and has served his community as a volunteer firefighter and was part of the emergency intervention group and logistics support team.

edoardo

Edoardo Barber

Edoardo Barber is a visiting scholar at ICT from Politecnico di Milano (Milan, Italy), where he completed his BS in civil engineering and is working on an MS, also in civil engineering. While at ICT, Edoardo is focusing on different Illinois Flexibility Index Test devices. The aim of this research is to identify equipment compliance and to quantify variability due to equipment.

Barbar decided to come to ICT because “it gave me the opportunity to work with Dr. Al-Qadi and his amazing team. Furthermore, ICT’s great influence in the field of transportation and the advanced facilities [at ATREL] played an important role in my choice.”

Since coming to ICT, Barbar praised the staff for getting him involved and making him feel part of the team. He has also attended several Kent Seminars, which he praised as providing interesting topics and letting him meet high-profile professors and professionals in the field.

When he is not studying or working in the lab, Edoardo enjoys playin soccer. “I used to play in an amateur league before joining ICT. I have been able to keep playing during my stay here, since I have found many people that share this passion.”