Technical Communication Specialist
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Technical Communication Specialist. Reporting to the Financial Operations Manager, the Technical Communications Specialist serves as the technical communications liaison between the Illinois Center for Transportation (ICT) and the Illinois Department of Transportation. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
Major duties and responsibilities
- Manage the IDOT research report review, approval, and publication process, including copyediting and formatting reports to adhere to ICT style guidelines.
- Update and maintain ICT/IDOT report guidelines.
- Update and maintain publications database for ICT/IDOT research reports.
- Write, edit and publish IDOT articles for ICT’s monthly Project Spotlights and ICT’s quarterly e-newsletter.
- Review Research Idea/Problem Statement Forms/Workplans submitted by researchers, to ensure compliance with the research objectives, and act as a liaison between IDOT Technical Advisory Groups (TAGs) and Technical Review Panels (TRPs).
- Actively participate in TAG meetings, prepare technical research discussion summaries and communicates the decisions of each TAG to PIs and the ICT/IDOT Executive Committee, comprised of senior management of both ICT and IDOT.
- Monitor and coordinate the activities of assigned project TRPs, including participation in technical meetings and preparing and disseminating discussion summaries.
- Prepare and edit RFPs, as needed, with input from TRPs.
- Develop and maintain a database of ICT project performance criteria and accomplishments over time. Develop monthly reports for review by ICT management to evaluate project performance as well as the long performance of ICT individual researchers.
- Facilitate communications with ICT staff, IDOT and researchers.
- Assist the ICT Director and/or Financial Operations Manager in preparing tables, charts and progress reports for the quarterly ICT newsletter, the annual report, ICT Executive Committee meetings and other presentations.
- Maintain ICT guidelines and procedures to ensure that ICT fulfills all the requirements of the ICT grant agreement and exceeds its annual objectives.
- Order and distribute printed report copies for IDOT reports.
- Handle a variety of sensitive and confidential assignments and projects.
- Travel as needed to attend meetings within the State of Illinois to perform the duties of this position.
- Assist other staff members as directed.
- Assume additional appropriate duties to further the mission of ICT and the department.
Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications or business.
One to three years of previous editorial and communications experience.
Excellent technical writing skills illustrated by examples of work that reflect accuracy and attention to detail. Must be able to understand complex scientific and technological subjects and to write clearly and concisely about them. Ability to write reports on scientific research to both scientific and general audiences. Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook). Ability to handle multiple duties simultaneously and occasionally with strict deadlines. Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
Experience in administration
The Technical Communications Specialist position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by July 31, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Vicki Dixon (email@example.com) or 217-244-0857.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu