Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications for a Lecturer or Instructor position. We seek highly qualified applicants with a strong commitment to excellence in teaching and the ability to teach at all levels. The Lecturer/Instructor position is a full-time, academic year (9-month), renewable, career-oriented, non-tenure-track position.
Required Qualifications for Instructor:
• M.S. in Civil Engineering or related field
• Demonstrated teaching effectiveness.
Required Qualifications for Lecturer:
• Ph.D. in Civil Engineering or related field
• Sustained excellence in teaching.
Minimum Qualifications for all ranks:
• Evidence of substantial contributions to undergraduate teaching and curriculum development.
• Passion for undergraduate education and student development.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in construction engineering and management field and use of construction engineering and project management software.
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as a team member.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to utilize technology in instruction.
• Three years of successful teaching experience at accredited four-year institution of higher education.
• Project Management, Professional Engineering, and/or LEED certifications.
• Engagement and leadership in Construction Engineering and Management technical societies
• Organizing national and international site visits.
The Lecturer/Instructor position requires teaching three regularly scheduled courses per year in the Construction Engineering and Management area at the undergraduate and graduate levels. This position is also responsible for representing and promoting the Construction Engineering and Management (CEM) program at industry and academic functions as well as at other events. This individual will also be managing the Global Leaders Construction Management Program (GLCM), including making arrangements for speakers, coordinating internships for students and industry symposiums, coordinating travel, soliciting sponsorship for the GLCM Program, and interacting with tenure-track faculty in CEM program. The GLCM Lecturer/Instructor will also hold office hours to advise and assist students in all functions related to teaching responsibilities, supervise and provide career advice for more than 20 GLCM students, and be engaged in departmental functions.
The Department of Civil and Environmental engineering (CEE) has 50 full-time faculty in 7 technical areas and over 1,400 undergraduate and graduate students. CEE is a nationally ranked department with outstanding laboratory and teaching facilities along with multiple large interdisciplinary research centers.
In order to ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 1, 2017. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. Preferred starting date is 01/01/2018, but it is negotiable.
Applications should be submitted by visiting http://jobs.illinois.edu and uploading a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, and names and contact information for three references. Applicants may also submit supporting material relevant to evaluating their teaching abilities. For inquiry, please call Vicki Dixon at 217-244-0857 or email email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu