Frequently Asked Questions about Documentation Certification
Online exam questions
1. When will I receive my login credentials for Canvas?
Registrants will receive a username and password for Canvas the first day of the month for the exam period in which they registered. For example, if you are registered for the August 2022 exam, then you will receive your credentials August 1, 2022.
Be sure to check your spam/junk folders.
If you do not receive your login credentials by the first of the month in which you registered, please notify email@example.com.
2. How long do I have to complete the exam?
Registrants have a 10 day window to take the exam during the registered exam period.
Check the 2022 – 23 schedule here.
3. Can I take the exam after the 10 day window?
No. Once 10 days pass, your login credentials expire.
4. Where can I access the course materials and video modules?
Course materials can be found on our Course Materials page.
5. Why am I unable to log into Canvas?
You may have entered your login credentials incorrectly. Copy and paste your username and password, separately, instead of typing them. Please also ensure your CAPS lock is not on upon entering.
If you are still unable to log into Canvas, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. How long is the exam?
2 ½ hours.
7. Once I begin the online exam, can I “pause” the timer and come back to the exam later (within the 10 day window)?
No. Once the exam begins, you have 2 ½ hours continuous hours to complete it.
8. Who do I contact if I am having difficulty navigating Canvas?
You may reach our Canvas contact at 217-244-7000.
9. When is registration for the next exam period?
Registration for the 2022 – 23 fiscal year is open. We do not intend to add any additional exam periods to this fiscal year.
Check the 2022 – 23 schedule here.
10. Is the exam open book/notes?
Yes. You may use the spec book, notes and course documents (printed or electronic are acceptable).
11. What are the rules on electronics?
Only one screen is allowed. A separate calculator or the PC calculator is required. No mobile devices allowed during the exam.
12. Are there limitations on the type of calculator that can be used?
It must not be able to take pictures, transmit data, and not-programmable.
Documentation of Contract Quantities questions
Certificates are valid for four years. Certificates do not expire for local agency or Illinois Department of Transportation employees who take the class and pass the exam, as long as they are continuously employed by either a local agency or the Illinois Department of Transportation. If an employee of a local agency or the Illinois Department of Transportation leaves for employment with a private company, their certificate expires four years from the most recent certification date.
2. Is there a retest option?
No. Registrants enroll in the online exam and pay the associated fee each time to attempt certification or recertification. The retest option is no longer available.
3. What is the fee for this class?
Current fees are at the bottom of the main page.
4. What is the cancellation policy?
The cancellation policy is at the bottom of the main page.
Review cancellation deadlines here.
5. Do you accept substitutions or transfers?
Not at this time.
6. What should I study to prepare for the exam?
Review the Documentation Guide, Project Procedures Guide, Construction Manual, and Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction. Also review the Documentation Appendix and Workbook that are listed with the Documentation Guide on the Course Materials page and the math refresher links.
Additionally, course materials and video modules can be found on our Course Materials page.
7. How do I know if I’m registered after I fill out the form and give my credit card information?
You will receive a receipt for the credit card transaction (including a transaction ID) immediately and confirmation of your registration within five business days via email.
If you do not have a transaction ID, you are not registered.
If you do not receive a confirmation email, please notify email@example.com.
8. Are there waiting lists available?
Not at this time.
9. Can I have a copy of my test?
No, tests are not distributed and questions will not be answered about your test. Grades are nonnegotiable and will not be changed.
10. Can I bulk register attendees for my office?
For non-state agencies, no.
11. How many Professional Development Hours can I earn by taking the course?
Professional Development Hours are awarded based on successful completion of the exam and the amount of participation time. Individuals earn 14 PDHs for passing the certification exam.
If unsuccessful in obtaining certification you must pay the associated fee and register for another exam period.
12. Since IDOT employees are certified as long as they work for the state, after initially passing the documentation course, how do they make sure they are certified when leaving the department?
State employees should make sure they take an exam prior to leaving the department if they want to be certified upon departure.
It is the responsibility of the state employee to check their certification expiration date. If four years has expired, then an exam is mandatory.
13. Does this training cover IDOT’s CMMS (Construction and Materials Management System) training?
No, CMMS training is taught at the district level. Please contact your respective IDOT District Contract Support office as to who provides this training. For IDOT District contact information, click here.
14. What happens if my certificate expires?
If your certificate expires, it is no longer valid, and you are not certified to be the documentation person on IDOT projects.